Vicki Z

Addicted to ATCs
Media
Fall Equinox / Festival of Mabon / Harvest Festival - Due September 7, 2012
Swap Due Date: September 7, 2012
Signup/Withdraw Date: September 7, 2012
Number of Cards: 3 for 3 or 6 for 6
Number of Participants: Unlimited

The Autumnal Equinox, also known as Mabon, occurs in the middle of September. It marks the beginning of Fall in the Northern Hemisphere, and is the time when days and nights are of equal length. Following this day of perfect balance, forthcoming nights grow longer and days grow shorter, and we bid farewell to the sun for the winter months. Now is the time to bring in the physical harvest, and it is also the time to store up personal energy and rest.

This is the second of three Autumn Harvest Festivals, symbolized by fall leaves and flowers, the predominant colors being golds and reds. The Cornucopia is traditional to thanksgiving feasts, and is associated with all 3 harvest festivals, Lammas, Mabon, and Sahmain.

Lammas is traditionally focused on first harvest, and grains such as wheat and corn, although in Minnesota, at the Oliver Kelly Farm,there is an old-fashioned threshing bee that takes place at Mabon, and a similar wheat harvest takes place in California at Mabon. The farmers start with standing wheat and then, by hand, harvest, bind into sheaves, thresh, bag and mill the wheat.

Mabon is often more closely associated with gourds, squash, and fall ripening fruits such as pears, apples, and grapes. Then at Samhain we fully honour the season of the dead with root vegetables, as they come from under the earth.

You may find that your seasons (Sabbats) "slide" as we move south to north, and cold weather comes progessively earlier. You will also find the seasons exactly opposite in the Northern Hemisphere versus the Southern Hemisphere, so look to your local area to see what is happening in nature.

Mabon is associated with the "Harvest Moon", an expression which is recorded since 1706 and refers to the full moon that is within a fortnight of the autumnal equinox. However, as people gradually moved from working the land (and harvesting the crops), to living in towns (and forgetting the special harvest season), the word "harvest" came to refer to the actual activity of "reaping", and the terms Fall and Autumn began to replace the word "Harvest" as indicators of a time of year.

The "Harvest Moon" is also known as the "Wine Moon". This is the time of the grape harvest and wine making.

Beekeepers encourage overproduction of honey within the hive so that the excess can be taken without endangering the bees. Mabon is the peak of Honey Harvest and collecting wild or domestic honeycomb.

Mabon is associated with apples: apple pie, apple jellies, and apple cider. Apples are harvested this time of year, and apples have a wonderful five-pointed star of seeds inside them if you cut one horizontally.

Mabon is also known as the "Feast of Avalon" -- Avalon (probably from the Celtic word abal: apple). To honour the dead, it was traditional at Mabon to place apples on burial cairns, as symbolism of rebirth and thanks. This also symbolizes the wish for the living to one day be reunited with their loved ones.
Avalon is a legendary island featured in the Arthurian legend, famous for its beautiful apples, deriving from the meaning of Avalon being, "the land of the apples"

* This is a 3 for 3 or 6 for 6 card trade. Make 3 or 6 cards and receive the same number back.

* ALL mediums and styles are welcome. All I ask is that you send in your best work. Something you would not be disappointed in receiving if it was sent to you.

* Please make sure to package your cards securely and confirm there is enough postage on the envelope.

* If you are unsure about mailing ATCs, or just may want to pick up some good tips for shipping, here is a great link.
http://atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?t=909

* If you are inside the U.S., please include a Self Addressed Stamped Envelope 4 by 9 1/2 inches, plus 45 cents postage, or one "Forever" stamp if trading 3 cards, OR 65 cents postage or two "Forever" stamps if trading 6 cards, OR if your cards are extra heavy. Please put the Swap name and your Username on the back of your mailing envelope, return envelope, and on all cards. And please write clearly on everything!

* International participants, I will cover your postage. Please include a self addressed envelope 4 by 9 1/2 inches (10 cm x 28 cm), or if you do not have the correct size envelope, please include a large mailing label with your address and I will provide the envelope.

Please put your username and Swap Name on the back of your mailing envelope, return envelope if sent, and on all cards. And please write clearly on everything!

* I apologize for being so demanding about the envelope size, but the postal rates in the US charge extra for thickness. When cards are stacked, or overlapped, in (a smaller) envelope, it almost always costs more to mail. When I use the 9 1/2 inch business size envelopes, I can spread the cards over the area, making a THIN package, and only pay for normal postage.

* Cards are due to me by September 7, 2012. Please allow sufficient lead time for cards to get to me, particularly if you are an International participant. itrader ratings will be given when I receive your cards. Returns will be mailed promptly. Late cards will be traded with other late cards, or returned, as it is unfair to those participants who always have their cards in early or on time.

* Remember: We all want to be able to know who to give rep points back to. So, do not forget to put your username and swap name on the back of each card!

* An extra ATC in this theme is appreciated but not at all expected!

* Thank you for considering this swap! If you have my address from previous swaps, it hasn't changed. If you are new, or have not been in one of my swaps for a while, I’ll PM you with my address when you sign up!

* Above all ~Have fun!!!

* Here is some additional information on the Autumnal Equinox Festival of Mabon

Autumn and Harvest Celebrations
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autumn
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvesthttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvest_moon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvest_(wine)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Autumn_Festival

Avalon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avalon

Current Participants:
Autumnal Equinox - Mabon - Due September 7, 2012

/. MoonDog17 - WITHDREW
/. Jaceslave - WITHDREW
/. turtlemountain - WITHDREW
1. eangelle - it - Cards received 9/07
/. creativemeemee - WITHREW
2. Amapola - MAILED * FINLAND
3. Vicki Z- it - Cards received 9/07
4. Sandy- it - Cards received 9/07

Last edited:
It is so cool today, after the very hot weather we have been having, it almost seems like fall.
Think fall harvest!!!

Lurking, I need to finish my previous swaps first but am really fascinated by this theme. You have such inspiring swap ideas, Vicki!

I almost finished my cards last night so I guess that means I'm in! I'll want to work on a hostie card another day but I'll post in the thread again when I'm ready to mail. I have your address already.

Here are my cards!

Not quite yet in the mail, though. Maybe on Monday... I'll let you know.

The second one from the right, with the wedge of geese, is made on a background made by SusyCM in Fast and Fabulous Backgrounds Swap. It was just great for this one, so thank you Susy, if you see this!

AWESOME CARDS, Amapola.
Looking forward to seeing them in person.

Thank you for posting such FA pictures.

Temperatures took a tumble this week, and for a few days it already feels like fall.
Mabon is a harvest festival with lots of things you can do ATCs on.
Check out the first post for ideas.

Im sorry im going to have to withdraw.
My 12 yr old was shot. And cant think about doing cards

Back
Top Bottom