HandDrawn/HPaint Biological Illustration-Animals, Birds, Fish and More! Due April 21

Good, Deb, 'cuz I'm not sure I know how to get my Photoshop (which I probably don't even have) to suck stuff out of PDF files. :biglaugh:

Thanks for the book tip, Deb. I just ordered Steal Like an Artist and Show Your Work by the same author. Exciting! :)

Last edited:
I use reference photos and I am (trying to at least) selling my art.
But I try to use several images, only using the reference to get the general idea of the shape and build of the creature (and colour) I am illustrating, and due to my artistic skills/style, they look very little like the photos anyway.

How are we supposed to draw semi-realistic animals otherwise? We cannot all afford international flights and it's not like our local zoos contain every animal known to man.

Anything Lemur!!! I've been here for 2 years now and still not managed to snag a piece of your awesome work. :0)

Those are perfect, Phoenix!

Lemurkat, you may have guessed I am a fool for canines. Dingo? African Wild Dog? Any woofer would be fab. But really I love everything you draw :D

Well Debs, I am about to draw a Coyote for C, and have the Dhole and the Dingo planned for D. It'll be a while before I get to the African Wild Dog (ie: Painted Dog) because I missed it for the A book and the C book (Cape Hunting Dog) but the Coyote is inked, so he should be up within the next week.

Any request on what you would like to see me draw?

I love your birds (I was lucky enough to get one of your cards in the parakeets swap a year or so ago). How about a long-legged bird like an egret, stork, or flamingo? And I'll throw camels into the mix, since I've had fun drawing them myself lately. I guess you have "c"s covered already, though? How about wildebeest and yak for the end of the alphabet?

I love your birds (I was lucky enough to get one of your cards in the parakeets swap a year or so ago). How about a long-legged bird like an egret, stork, or flamingo? And I'll throw camels into the mix, since I've had fun drawing them myself lately. I guess you have "c"s covered already, though? How about wildebeest and yak for the end of the alphabet?

Well, I don't think the camel has a home yet. I have some long-legged birds, due to the "Waterbirds" swap for future books but am sure something will be coming up sooner or later.

Plumhill nice job on the Wolverine. There were supposed to be wolverines in the states I've lived in (Michigan, Wisconsin), but I never saw one. Here in SE Ohio I've seen weasels, coyote, whitetail deer, raccoon, possum, red fox, red and gray squirrel, rabbits and various rodents. Birds include: pileated, downy, red-bellied, and hairy woodpeckers, wild turkey, hummingbirds, and red-tailed hawk. By the pond we have box, painted, and snapping turtles, bullfrog, leopard frog and spring peepers and in the pond we have small mouth bass, various sunfish, fresh water clams and an occasional blue heron. What kind of animals are in your area?

Back
Top Bottom