Whimsical Girls Handdrawn/ Handpainted due- April 21, 2023

Great cards, I especially love that ponytail girl, with the little bird!

I have to withdraw because the local postmaster wants $23.95 to send these cards to the UK. He says the cards are non-machinable (a fee), special international (another fee), and artwork (another fee), and must be insured (yet another fee)--or he won't take them. Yeah. There's no appeal 'cause he's the postmaster who receives all local complaints to his desk.

Nevertheless, I did do the cards and want to share the images with you:
47AB1AE7-7701-4362-AC3F-6C35C3EA40CF.jpg
The Pharoah's daughter was allergic to cats. The cats, of course, knew this.

788CBF16-3FB8-42F7-9E05-4EBD732D6FBB.jpg
Carina paid part of her college tuition by working as a bridesmaid-for-hire. She would do any look the bride wanted this side of au natural.

00FDC398-5772-46B9-A8D1-522490E6A230.jpg
Up the airy mountain,
Down the rushing glen,
We dare not go a-roving,
For fear of skating Gwen.

03DB6EB2-AFE7-488F-AE8F-9FB1D6C28234.jpg
Audrey and her four outfits that can be attached through slits in the card.

So that's that.
Makitso

Well that is such a shame Makitso, in all the years I've traded ATCs and hosted I have never heard that. Is he a new postmaster?
Usually people send from the USA to me as an ordinary letter with a global forever stamp. And a fair percentage of players here are also from USA. I have never had an issue with USA hosts having problems sending returns to me either.

Copied from USPS website just now-
'Send 1 oz letters or postcards around the world with one Global Forever® stamp, which currently costs $1.45 and never expires, even if the postage price goes up.'

Last edited:
Thanks for the info from the USPS website. I get the feeling there's a power-trip going on with this postmaster. I now send ATCs in the USA in separate envelopes because putting three or four cards in one envelope gets the cards returned to me as "insufficient postage." There's other weirdness that too that isn't revelant to ATCs; for example, seed packets from one of the biggest garden suppliers in the USA returned to sender as "unmailable content" and so on.

Makitso, your cards are all wonderful, I sure wish you could get them sent to Bex less expensively (and you should definitely be able to, that is really crazy!). I would probably try a different post office in a neighboring town. What a shame!

How annoying for you Makiso, it's a shame if it affects your hobby in trading ATCs. Maybe talk to other USA players as well. We don't have the 'non- machinable' thing here so I'm not entirely sure what that bit means. Do they need to be less that a certain thickness to go through? Maybe some other USA folk can chip in and help there.

DocJ29 your cards arrived, thank you for including an extra host card :) btw I pm'd you re-return postage.

All I know is that I have mailed swap cards out to Bex in the UK and Dithespy in France with one Global Forever stamp. I also sent a set to flashviv in Australia with regular US stamps on because the postal worker was out of the Global ones and said all I needed was stamps that were price equivalent. They arrived just fine! This guy is annoyingly officious!!

I might be tempted to address a new envelope for my cards, put a global forever stamp on it (or however many regular forever stamps would be the same price) and go drop it in a mailbox somewhere!

Interesting thought. But, I'd have to get out of this area. Only one USPS office here: all mail from nearby towns goes through that, which, of course, is where the postmaster is. I'll check whether one of my friends is traveling soon.

Only one USPS office here: all mail from nearby towns goes through that, which, of course, is where the postmaster is.

Does the postmaster check all outgoing mail personally? That sounds terrible (and also impossible in terms of volume). Yikes! You should not have to be mailing cards separately, either-- a simple "extra ounce" or "non-machineable" stamp added to your envelope should be fine. You can buy them on the USPS website, and they work for international mail, too. They're only 24 cents, so much less than having to add a whole other regular stamp.

I keep wondering if that's a thickness thing. If you lay the cards flat and tape them with painter's tape or washi tape, there really shouldn't be an issue. That said, USPS is a mess--low morale, they're forever transferring people to new offices, dealing with COVID. Now I find often I'm better educated about the mailing rules or a new price increase than the clerks at my post office. And that's the thing with the transfers....we had the same letter carrier for years, now we get someone for weeks and then someone else and the clerks at the post office change frequently, too. I used to know exactly whose line I wanted to be in.

Makitso, I had a similar problem in another swap last week. Postmistress said if it's not a letter it's an item and therefore a package. Mine was going to Canada. She wanted 14.75 in addition to the international postage and the extra ounce postage. It was in a bright green envelope and was somewhat lumpy. I took it back home and repacked my cards in a round robin holder and used a pale blue envelope. I put 1 international stamp on it and put it in the mailbox instead of going back to the post office. We will see if it comes back to me. It hasn't yet.

Back
Top Bottom