Whimsical Girls Handdrawn/ Handpainted due- April 21, 2023

Yep, sometimes with international mail, I go out of my way to make it look boring for just this reason.

I just wish the post office could be saved. I feel like they almost want to make it so hard and expensive to use that we won't although....then they wouldn't have jobs. I literally had a postal worker ask me why I didn't just email my friend overseas as opposed to mail a card and I was like... "uh...." It was like being in a store and having the salesperson ask why I wanted to spend money on something.

In the 90s, I did tons of mail art and we did all kinds of things. I was in a group where we sent objects to each other, without a box or envelope. I got a baseball hat in the mail. The address was written on the visor. I got a small wooden egg with just my name and address on it. I sent out a bunch of pink plastic elephants (of course.)

And all of these did cost more postage than just one stamp, but the point is you could have fun. And most postal workers seemed really amused by seeing something other than bills and junk mail.

Then the post office got more mechanized and focused on the priority mail envelopes or boxes they provided, so they could stack the mail trucks easier...it's like the grinch took over and now his surrogates are pointing out to me that email is free.

Interesting reading through the posts about the post office charges being somewhat erratic. In Australia we just have to make sure it is in a standard business size envelope and no thicker than 5mm (Google: What size is 5mm? 3/16 Inch Exact Size In Inches 0.19685 Inches). In my first swap I provided the envelopes and packaged the cards to comply. The only trouble I've ever had was an envelope from USA was opened by Australian Customs because they had included some soft squiggy stickers that made the envelope looks suspicious I guess.

I hope postage doesn't become too expensive (as in the couple of examples cited here). It costs me $3.50au ($2.35 US) to mail to USA, slightly more to UK and Europe which is acceptable. $10-$30 would be out of my budget.

I might be tempted to address a new envelope for my cards, put a global forever stamp on it (or however many regular forever stamps would be the same price) and go drop it in a mailbox somewhere!

That’s exactly what I did in another swap. I repacked them in a new envelope and one global stamp. They arrived today in Canada.

The last set has arrived!

I have received cards with the girls collaged onto backgrounds, as this is a hand drawn/hand painted swap only these cards unfortunately break the swap rule of 'no collage'. If there are any players that would be happy to receive one of these cards please could you specify below asap. Many thanks.

Bex, I would be ok with receiving one (if they’re well done). I understand the odd issues that sometimes come up with hosting!

Happy to have one Bex, so long as there is a hp/hd element to them. From what you wrote I understood that the girls are hp/hd and the background is collage. But I may have misunderstood. Thanks

Thanks all who answered my question re- the collaged cards. The player has now decided to have them returned instead so it's no longer an issue. Will swap sometime over the weekend and post on my next day off which will be Tuesday.

Back
Top Bottom