Native American Swap-Open Media Due July 15, 2013

I am working on narrowing my ideas down to designs for the swap. I have chosen to go with what is very personal to me. I couldn't decide if I wanted to go historical, artistic, geographical, or what?

I have decided to go with mythological/legends in areas that I have personal and family connections to...go with what I know, I suppose. :D I think I will design collages with the actual "power of place" with a legend associated with it. I hope this is okay?

If we include Hawaii as Native American, I have that experience, as well. I guess I didn't realize how interesting it actually is that my family tended to travel and relocated to areas based upon sacred places...if it is part of what is accepted by one's family, I guess it is hard to realize how unique it is. I have actual pictures I have taken to use (if I can find them.)

Going over what I have experienced in life, I didn't really connect the dots that these sacred places were volcanoes and waterfalls. (I am going to have to give my mother a special thanks for this! :) )

I have: Mt. Shasta (CA) , Mt. Lassen (CA), Noccalula Falls (AL) , and Mt. Kilauea/Rainbow Falls (HI). I'll focus on the Native Legends for each sacred place, and post when I have them completed. :)

It is great to see players exchanging ideas and encouraging one another!
Bosha,
Nice jewelery on etsy!
recycled42,
I have added you to the swap!

This weekend I started this drawing of a Pow Wow dancer in my sketchbook. Then I had a little fun with it on my computer using "Picasa".

Bosha,
I will try and make a card of a Pow Wow Dancer!
Rosa,
Your great artwork arrived today-thanks for the hostie!

I was just curious... Bosha brought up the idea of the "Hollywood Indian", and arcana also brought up some interesting points as far as how Native Americans are sometimes viewed and have been treated. Has anyone seen the documentary "Reel Injun"? I saw it about a year ago, and I thought it was so interesting. If anyone else has seen it, I am curious to know what you thought.

I loved "Reel Injun." I need to add it to my DVD library.

This is my next project. I know I want to use some Pueblo pottery postage stamps as my focal image, but I'm still thinking about the backgrounds.

CynthiaSillitoe,
I am glad that you enjoyed the documentary. I really liked how it came from the Native American point of view.
I love Pueblo pottery-I look forward to seeing how you include it in your artwork.

I have a list somewhere of movies to see from it. Most of the post-Dances With Wolves movies I've seen, but there were a couple I'd missed. One film that tends to fly under the radar is Older Than America. It's a thriller and very sad in some parts, but really well done. It didn't get quite as much attention as Smoke Signals (which I can pretty much recite.) When I was a kid, my mom covered the Ute and Navajo tribes for a local newspaper, so I spent a lot of time at reservations and powwows.

CynthiaSillitoe,
Smoke Signals and Older than America are both good movies!
Tandy,
Welcome to the swap!

Here are mine!

1_acomapot.jpg

1_hopipotII.jpg

1_twopots.jpg

1_hopipotI.jpg

Back
Top Bottom