ATC "Forgotten Places" Open Media Swap, Due August 12th

They'll be on their way around mid-week,BArox818

Decided to go the digital manipulation route for theses photos, combined, layered and filtered the photos using about 70% my own and the remainder culled from the great Public Domain photo sources that are out there

The challenge I set for myself in realizing the theme of Forgotten or Abandoned Places was to use colour ( photos on the left ) as effectively as the more muted tones of black-and-white or sepia, ( the photos on the right ) which came more easily to the mind to use first..

Last edited:
All are great... with and without color. I especially like the bottom left one. I love how you made the trees almost frame the building, and the building itself has a unique design.

I'm afraid I won't have time to do this swap (had not signed up either, but just letting you know, as I had been lurking).
But I will pop in to enjoy the gorgeous art by all of you. I really liked this swap idea!

This was incredibly fun! I love the play of light and shadows. As my art instructor told me: a little sandpaper, a little paint, a little pen/pencil...I also added in some oil pastels. Voila! Creepy haunted places that if you look very closely, you may see "spirits caught on film." I honestly just took what was already in the photograph and slightly highlighted it with another medium to bring out the "ghosts" and shadows that appeared to be there.

It's a lot easier to see in person, though.

They're pretty creepy:

arcana, I LOVE your cards!!! :notworthy:

crimsonrivulet your lovely cards are here, portraying some very intriguing locations... and I love your background treatments, especially the blood-like texture on your Shelter Zone card. Makes me imagine zombies would be on the other side of those closed doors

Nancy, your cards arrived, I love how you used the mesh to look like a fence, and your photos have such a soft yet crisp appearance all at the same time. What technique did you use to get them that way?

btw thanks for the extra :)

Last edited:
Wish you had not asked that question.....I cut them out of a book, printed in the 70s and I feel so quilty...but, I am old and my kids or grandkids are not interested in my book collection. They laugh and say that when I am gone they are going to have to rent a dumpster to get rid of them..soooo I have very carefully cut out a few photos for my ATCS thinking that I might as well enjoy them...but I feel so quilty when I do it!

I love books, I don't understand why most of my generation does not. I guess the digital era has a lot to do with it, but I'm one of the rare few that would rather read a book in physical form than view it on the screen or would rather buy the actual CD then download the digital copy. Theres just something missing to me, if you cant physically hold it in your hands or examine it for yourself. Its like talking to someone on the phone or computer vs. actually getting to hug someone....I bet theres some great adventures in those pages that your family is missing out on, but I'm glad we got to see some of that in your cards. They look great!

I agree, BArox818 - I love the tactile sense of holding a book. Jeff, my partner in life, has pretty much given up converting me to e-books. Smart guy!

Kinuko: sooooo sorry about your mom but glad to hear you are still playing... If I were to guess I'd say it would take your cards about 10 days to get here from Germany, so I'd say you are probably fine on time but I don't believe you have my address...sending it now

crimsonrivulet: This is only my 2nd time hosting a swap but I have a feeling it will be my favorite to host as well..... Im so amazed by the beauty and diversity of everyone's cards

spineofafish: sent :D

Wildgoose: your cards have arrived...they are even more lovely in person. thanks for the host card and postage coverage :)

Kinuko: your cards are great. I cant wait to see them in person, Im especially intrigued by the window (anyone else see a face in the bottom left corner?)

my cards

mine are done: there is five here... two are for a trade but I thought you'd like to see them anyway all are altered photography printed on matte photo paper to make altering eeisier

1. Cloudy Night Steel Stacks (photography and digital)
2. Moonlit Fort (photography cut and pasted onto painted background and accented with white gel pen)
3. Overgrown Childhood (photography and digital with yarn scraps for grass)
4. Snowy Mt. Hope (photography cut and pasted onto painted background and accented with white gel pen)
5. Walls of Eastern State (photography cut and pasted onto painted background and accented with green and black colored pencils)

Kinuko: Your cards have arrived :D Thanks for the hostie and postage coverage.
Turns out the ghostly face I seen in the window was just a bunch of leaves but still a good card, love the crackle. I think my favorite though is the one with the chair and the way it was left there, almost as if the owner was expected to return but never did. < kinda haunting and makes you wonder...

Back
Top Bottom