Encaustic Art - Due May 28th

I am really itching to do some painting now but I am waiting for a delivery of supplies :wideeyed: no paper :wacko:

Which makes me wonder... Can you use photo paper? It has a glossy surface, & seems very much like the paper I ordered from the encaustic's supplier. Wandering minds want to know.:cute:

I am really itching to do some painting now but I am waiting for a delivery of supplies :wideeyed: no paper :wacko:

HiddenTreasure2010 great to have you join in :) Just yell if you have any questions and hopefully we will be able to answer :cute:

lacemuse - now there's a question, I have some photo paper so if I get the time later I may give it a go and see.
Going to be in the garden today (mini heatwave at the moment) hopefully distressing a cheap picture frame I picked up...its an ongoing project but I want to use it to frame some of the gorgeous atc's I have received over the years.

Have you tried the back side of the photo paper? I use photo paper is used for alcohol inks, but the back works best for me. I'm going to see if I still have some lurking about & give it a try.

I have been using photo paper snce I started! Works fine as long as you don't stay in on place too long and then it bubbles. BUT if you bubble it, it looks like rocks and gives some dimension! Give it a shot!

I have been using photo paper snce I started! Works fine as long as you don't stay in on place too long and then it bubbles. BUT if you bubble it, it looks like rocks and gives some dimension! Give it a shot!

Now that sounds interesting, I am going to have a go at creating bubbles just to see how it all fits in the overall look. Thanks Mariak

If anyone else has any hints or tips dont be shy :chatterbox:

Please sign me up...I already made some cards. I am in London visiting Joss so I can send them right away. Here is one of my cards...they are all available for viewing in my gallery.

Brilliant jo.on.the.go. your added. Gorgeous colours you have used

Has anyone seen the youtube video on encaustic wax & shellac burn? It's amazing! I'm going to try it!! Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mjdd7GzxViQ

So, you have your abstract encaustic painted on clay board. Place it on a ceramic tile. You do this outside, because there's fire involved.

You have a small container of clear shellac, 2 other small containers of clear shellac each tinted with a different PearlX powder that goes well with your abstract.

Lay the painting on the tile. Paint a coat of clear shellac on the encaustic abstract, then dribble & dab on the colored shellacs with a flat stick, sprinkle a bit of PearlX powder. Then <insert drum roll here> with a lit match, ignite the painting! Let it burn until the fire goes out. Repeat with dribbling & dabbing on more of the colored shellac & add a bit more PearlX powder, & <drum roll again> ignite. Let it burn till the fire goes out. Repeat until your encaustic is a masterpiece of layers of melted wax & PearlX. Let it dry overnight.

My lurking PyroMuse is really excited about trying this.:eek:

Heading to the hardware store this afternoon.

Burn Baby Burn!!:jimlad:

Last edited:
(3katz is on standby with a fire hose just in case)

That actually looks really good and such a unique end product. Three of those would look great in my hallway. Unfortunately I have wwwwaaayyyy too many projects on the go at the moment so this will have to go on the (very long) list of things to try.

Would love to see your results lacemuse if you do have a go :cool:

I am happy today as my encaustic art supplies have arrived along with an encaustic painting I asked another artist to do for me. Will post the painting on my blog this weekend and hopefully will have a little more work to show.

OMG!! I did the encaustic shellac burn this evening. I'm LOVING this!! I started with an encaustic wax landscape abstract. Mountains, lakes, plants in the foreground. I really liked it better after burn #2, but as usual, I had to keep messing with it. Still, I think it's pretty cool the way the burning brought such texture to the painting. It looks way more abstract than it started. You can't see the silver PearlEx which is really shimmery. The smallest clay board I could find was 8"x10".

I love the blue dots just below the center of the painting - that's from the burn. They look like a field of flowers. It's got lots of texture from the burn, too.
View attachment 69074

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliment Mariak! You know, I've always been so strict with myself & my art - everything has to be just so & perfect. I've been working on loosening up & being less structured with my art. This was soooooooooo freeing!! I mean create, then burn - that's fearless art! :jiggy:I have to admit - it felt really good to go a little crazy!:spinny:

I found the clay board at Hobby Lobby in the art supplies. The 8"x10" was the smallest I could find, but maybe they come in smaller sizes & they were out of them.

You are crazy! I can't beleive you did it! You did a wonderful job though. I am impressed. Where did you find clay board? I may have to give it a shot!

Wonderful lacemuse, I wonder if this could be done on an ordinary ceramic tile???? They are quite cheap to purchase and you can choose from a variety of sizes.

I really love the colours, may just ave to bump this project to the top of my list. :spinny:

Dont forget to show us the results lacemuse

Nearly forgot why I came on here in the first place.....lol

Had the first few arrivals today from:

KittyNL
Wil Opio Oguta

The scanned pictures where nice but they really are gorgeous, love the colours you have both selected.

Here's another encaustic atc. I was shopping for clay boards at Hobby Lobby & they have all this new ATC stuff!!! Kits with 3 small vials of color-coordinated beads or beads & sequens. Little fiber kits. A set of artists brushes with short handles & in small sizes to work at the ATC size!! These very cute little ATC sized blank greeting cards that you slide your ATC into (see pic)!! I can't remember all of what I saw - I was trying to be good & not buy stuff I really didn't need, but there was lots of it!! Oh, new pre-cut atcs in lots of different materials. I cut my own, but still...
View attachment 69470

I have an atc die, so I can use one of the cards as a template & make my own with the die!!! Woooooooooooooohoooooo!!!! I'm thinking they'd made great hostess gifts with an extra card in them!

Oh, & if you'd like to, please go check my blog to see my first 8"x10" encaustic painting.

Now that is beautiful lacemuse but who are you trying to kid when you said you are trying to be good and not buy stuff...lol :spinny:

I say that to myself all the time but it never works.

I have just ordered some alcohol inks, never used them before and I want to see if they can be used with encaustics...probably just turn into a big mess but I will have fun trying

A couple of envelopes arrived today from:

jo.on.the.go
gunmarit

Really lovely work both of you

I noticed the asterik thing a couple of times in random forums and was totally confused - I was thinking - gee are they swearing in their text - no couldn't be that but what is it? Let's see if I can write ATC - is it naughty or no?

Even though I'm not playing in your swap - just can't add anymore craft supplies to my arsenal right now - I hope you don't mind me checking in and seeing how everyone is doing and how the cards are coming along.

roflmao.....the missing words in the text marked with *** are 'a t c' but for whatever reason its not retaining the letters. Has *** become some kind of rude word!!?? :eek:

Gonna change *** to card just in case anyone thinks I have lost the plot

Back
Top Bottom