HOW TO: Host An ATC Swap

I would rather not have others give my address out because what if the address is given incorrectly? The cards go missing and then what happens? If I don't receive an address by the time I start the cards I pm the host asking for it. When I host I try to send my address to players upon joining, so people have it.

I won't send my address in advance. If a 'player' has to request it...it's another check for the host to know what's going on with that person.

Though I see your point about getting to see who is really checked in, a new swapper wouldn't have any way to know that. Swaps are not a "test" that a person has to pass before being allowed in. A swapper who doesn't take it upon themself to PM the host is no more irresponsible than a host who doesn't PM the swapper, in my opinion. If a person is signed up for your swap, it's common knowledge that they will need your address, why would you withhold it from them?

I think the person who mentioned putting "PM me for my address" in the swap instructions has the right idea, because her expectations were clearly stated. In the absense of instructions like these, it seems like there should be some standard protocol. If for no other reason than so n00bs like me are not set up to fail.

I can't tell you how frustrating it was to get a PM saying "don't forget that the deadline is coming up in 3 days!" but without the one key piece of information I needed in order to make the deadline--an address.

Problem with me, is that I communicate daily with so many people here. They are familiar, and I assume that their info is in my spreadsheet. That I have traded with them in the past. Then I realize when I go to address things....oh, no. I don't have it! You are correct, CattyCat...it is my fault...but still. Hosts should make things as easy on players as they expect players to follow their rules and make things easier for them. Correct?

I will repeat I NEVER, EVER GIVE OUT ANOTHER MEMBERS PERSONAL ADDY INFORMATION. And I hope that I never find out that someone else has shared mine. I don't ask from other members, either. I don't find this practice to be comfortable. And I don't think other members here would, either.

I always put the "pm me for my address when you are ready" in my welcome post after someone signs up - I use to send everyone my address when they first signed up - some would lose it and have to pm me again for it - some would already have it and request that I not fill up their inbox with more pm's :)

so I don't send it out ahead of time and I check in often on my threads (I think most do) I'm a last min type swapper - trying hard to break that habit but haven't yet - it's up to me to have my ducks in row.

And I think what is meant by "members checking in" is that there always seems to be a number of new people who sign up - but then you never hear from them again - I would rather not just send my address out cold to members that post a few times never to be heard from again.

I agree with GG -- if hosts sent out their addy to everyone who signed up for their swaps, a lot of us would feel like that is spam. As a host, I don't keep track of who already has my address and who doesn't have it yet. When players request my address from me, I respond the same day or the next day. I don't think this means that I am withholding my address or being irresponsible.

I think people who see an address pm from a host (of a swap they signed up for) as spam don't really understand what spam is - we're not sending emails for ads on "enlarging your package" --. seriously the title of a spam email I got today! :) The host's address is necessary information for the swap. PMs are easily deletable, I'd rather a player get the info twice than sit around with cards ready to mail and no address.

Whatever the host's method, I'm ok with whatever works best for her.

I would rather not have others give my address out because what if the address is given incorrectly? The cards go missing and then what happens?

I had not thought about that before, and it is a very valid point. Thanks for pointing it out, I will take it into account :)

One more thing about addresses. Am I the only one on this site to keep an address book? I get a bit fed up supplying my address over and over and over again to the same people, sometimes just after I have received something from them!
It's not hard. I use forum names to alphabetise, as that's how I think of people anyway, and then have their real names and addresses underneath. Makes life much simpler, but I'm beginning to feel a tad anal!

I think there is quite a few people who keep addresses on file; I downloaded a free program to keep my records and I have over 140 addresses stored there. I also get a bit annoyed for writing my address over and over (just because it's a bit long), so I keep it saved in my notepad and just copy/paste to the PMs when it's needed.

Questions:

I hosted one swap on the o/s and one here. Does this mean if I do one more swap here that counts as three?

And I can have more up to 30 players on this third(?) swap?

And after that can host as many as six at a time with unlimited players?

What if I have been here a month a have 81 itraders? is that enough trades to over ride the 3 month waiting ?

I really appreciate all of the useful information that I found here. Thank you all again!!

Hey LisaB, since you are from the Mardi Gras state, how bout hosting a Mardi Gras swap? I thought about it, but I've been ill and until I get used to my medication, don't think I could handle something like a swap right now. (I forget things.) Anyway I love the MG colors, ordered my king cake, etc, so I'm feeling Mardi Gra-ish. Thought I'd pitch that out.

Question, as the hostess of my first SWAP do I leave each that participates an iTrader? And if so, when? When I recieve their cards or at the end of the SWAP?

Question, as the hostess of my first SWAP do I leave each that participates an iTrader? And if so, when? When I recieve their cards or at the end of the SWAP?

Yes, it is your responsibility to leave iTrader for each participant, some members really depend on it so they can join swaps that have a minimum set to participate.

It is probably 50/50 as far as when to leave iTraders for players. Some Hosts leave iTrader as they receive the cards, that way they don't have to worry about it anymore. Other Hosts wait until all cards are received so they are done in one swoop.

Most of the seasoned hosts seem to advise leaving iTrader as the cards come in so that you don't miss anyone and so that newer members don't have to wait as long to get their iTrader count up.

I just finished my first swap and have heard from all but one of my participants that they received their cards. I sent that person a PM but have still not heard anything; I guess it is possible that they are on a really long vacation. My question is: how long does the thread stay on the list after it is over and what are my responsiblities?

Back
Top Bottom