It's In The Mail - Interesting Mail Boxes PHOTO ANGEL SWAP - due date August 15th

Compulsory earthquake-damaged mailbox.

The house beside this mailbox has lost 3 of its external walls.

Last edited:
Well, Canada Post is on strike, but our jazzy mailboxes are still standing!! I took the liberty of "playing" with the photos - the original box is on the back. My sister will mail them in the States next week. Your mail is waaay more reliable these days!

Compulsory earthquake-damaged mailbox.

The house beside this mailbox has lost 3 of its external walls.

Wo!! That is scary! Not a big fan of earthquakes. Nowhere to hide!! Hope the damage was all structure and not lives.

Well, Canada Post is on strike, but our jazzy mailboxes are still standing!! I took the liberty of "playing" with the photos - the original box is on the back. My sister will mail them in the States next week. Your mail is waaay more reliable these days!

Those are AMAZING!!! So glad you got photos of them to share with us! Too bad the boxes are not in as much use these days as might be preferred! :twitcy:

I'll let you know (and leave iTrader points for you) when they arrive. ***fingers crossed!***

Wo!! That is scary! Not a big fan of earthquakes. Nowhere to hide!! Hope the damage was all structure and not lives.

If they were in an internal doorframe or beside an internal wall they would have been fine. The roof is still up too, despite having gone through another two savage earthquakes this week. It's kind of amusing though because here you have a house by a main road with no walls that you can see right into, and they've put the red placard on one of the only bit that hasn't fallen - the front door - saying "do not enter". You'd have to be pretty danged brave to walk into that house! I think they took their stuff out though, cos the lounge is empty.

The B&B next door, which is now a pile of rubble says on its website that it is "currently closed due to earthquake damage" (obviously from Sep 4th not Feb 22 which sealed its fate). It's heartbreaking :(

Last edited:
If they were in an internal doorframe or beside an internal wall they would have been fine. The roof is still up too, despite having gone through another two savage earthquakes this week. It's kind of amusing though because here you have a house by a main road with no walls that you can see right into, and they've put the red placard on one of the only bit that hasn't fallen - the front door - saying "do not enter". You'd have to be pretty danged brave to walk into that house! I think they took their stuff out though, cos the lounge is empty.

The B&B next door, which is now a pile of rubble says on its website that it is "currently closed due to earthquake damage" (obviously from Sep 4th not Feb 22 which sealed its fate). It's heartbreaking :(

Oh lemurkat...that is so very sad.....:( I can't figure out why it has not been more in the news here. Or I just missed it but usually I do hear of the big issues. Are you and all yours doing OK?

Minnkel and I were driving around to look for interesting ones and we found a number of them. I don't have to mail them to hem, because I can simply hand them over to her;). Here are 4 of my favorites:

Oh Wil... well I can see that Minnkle lives in a more artful place then I do....

I have circled a few square mailes around my place and ain't seeing nuttin'
I am talking BORing in a big way... now I wishing it was winter, at least they looked better buried in snow....
HOW come Canada, UK and Tasmania got all these great postal boxes... not fair...:(

I spent 4 days on the road this week...rural areas, cities and suburbs with only one mailbox to show for it...turns out the pics I took aren't so good...sigh ...still lurking

Don't get discouraged yet. There is still lots of time and I just know something will show itself! At first it seemed like everything was boring here. We found most of them in the rural areas. I envy the Mouseit!!! And so many others with way cool boxes! We really had to hunt for ours.

Grab some treats and play the word search to clear your mind and begin again on another day! Worse comes to worse....paint your neighbors mailbox!!! **sneak out in the middle of the night with spray can in hand!** Just kidding, of course.....I would NEVER lead you guys astray or anything!!:swoon:

Off to bed now you guys...I'll check back with you sometime tomorrow I hope. Another friend is here (SOTO on AFA) and we are going to a quilt show tomorrow and then a couple of play days in the studio!! WOOHOO!!

Oh Wil... well I can see that Minnkle lives in a more artful place then I do....

I have circled a few square mailes around my place and ain't seeing nuttin'
I am talking BORing in a big way... now I wishing it was winter, at least they looked better buried in snow....
HOW come Canada, UK and Tasmania got all these great postal boxes... not fair...:(

Try the smaller towns or older areas of the towns. That is where Minnkel and I found very interesting mailboxes. Another thing which helps is if you have a passenger who can look out for mailboxes while you can focus on the driving :-)

HEY!! I only ran over ONE LITTLE CURB!!! Oh and the nice thing about looking out in the rural areas is that you can usually come to a screaching halt and back up because there is no one else on the road.......ask me how I know!!! :twitcy:

Hi MelFaye! Glad you are here....even lurking! Please feel free to play the MailBox Word Search Game with us while you are contemplating your next outing to search for those elusive mailboxes!! And chat whenever you want to....we're a pretty freewheeling group here.

:jiggy:

Whew! it was so much fun having SOTO join Wil and me for a few days! AND...we didn't get into TOO much trouble! Hope you had a safe flight home SOTO! Didn't happen to see any cool mailboxes from the plane did you??? I know you must have been flying lower due to the weather....just wondering.....:twitcy:

dang dang and double dang... I ain't seeing nuttin.... zip zap zero...
and now I thinking about what Minkkel said about (neighbor/paint over) hummmm....
and I got lots of half empty paint cans... a few stickers... abit of ribbon...
late nite drive down dark road...
ohhhh ohhh wait.. red lights shinning in my rear window... tossing out the empty cans..
ohhhh ... now I in trouble... hope they let me come back in the morning lite to take my pictures....:unsure:

Oh Ducky dahling....of all times NOT to read the directions very c a r e f u l l y!!! You obviously missed this part....

" (just don't get arrested for trespassing!!)"....or anything else I guess I should have added!! :twitcy:

Also.....do remember all of you that the places where you drop off your mail is also a possibility!! Anyone know of some old post office buildings or apartment buildings with those ornate multi mailboxes???

Looks like I've been missing out on some fun! That's what I get for working 10 hour days!

Hope to join in more on the weekends, but for now I have a show and tell photo, not so interesting at first glance, but when you look at the details, it's a pretty cool set-up.

This is a photo of a place I drive by everyday when I leave work. It's a B&B in downtown Charleston, SC called Maison du Pre built in 1807!!!! In this photo it was still a working B&B. It has since been put up for sale for a few million as I recall. This is the gate to the courtyard that is in between two buildings. It has it's own mail box there on the right below a plaque. On the left is a weight from a pulley system that rides up and down as the door opens and closes - so cool! I just love this place and don't mind waiting for the stop light at all (it's on a corner). IF I ever win the lottery and it's still for sale, I want to buy it!!!

chas-george03.jpg

Love, love, love that mailbox, Blanche!
Minnkel, nope, didn't see any interesting mailboxes from the plane between MN and Chicago, nor, surprisingly, any on the 600+ mile ROAD TRIP from Chicago home, due to that bad weather, and the airline's total incompetence.
This swap may prove to be more challenging that I thought! lol

SOTO

Back
Top Bottom