Quilt Squares and Quilts 2 !~Due May 29

Cheryl, you are so good! I admire those who can just be pleasantly challenged, and not frustrated, by sewing these tiny pieces. I think I will do the paper and glue method. Is the blue one a Snail’s Trail? What is that gorgeous purple one? Love them all!

Cheryl I just sent you my address and stopped in to see if you’d posted a photo. Wow these are enchanting!!! Just beautiful!

Last edited:
CherylS your gorgeous quilts are here! Just so stunning! Thank you so much for making an extra for me. I would love to be able to make such adorable tiny quilts! I’m inspired to keep trying! I just want to play with them :)

Vegan4Animals your quilts are here too! They’re so intricate and I love your color choices! You must have used tweezers and magnifying glass! Thank you so much for making one for me!!! I was just considering one of your patterns, thinking I’d never seen that one. Well now I have! Yay!

My thoughts exactly (from a fellow paper quilt maker)! But I do want to enjoy it and not have it frustrate me. So we can be partners in this. And maybe others will join us!

Oh my goodness! Paper quilts aren’t cheating. :) There are lots of ways to create beautiful quilts! I made both paper and fabric because it was a challenge I wanted to achieve. I tried last year to do fabric and all but one was too big for the sleeve. This year I made some that actually fit in the sleeve!! So I’m pretty excited about that. I still want to manage a more intricate pattern... maybe next year.

There’s a kind of quilting I saw on a pillow once where it’s all folding and layering but I haven’t been able to look it up because I can’t remember what that technique is called. Kind of like tea bag folding ... I think I could maaaaaaaybe manage that if I could find an online video ....

Paper piecing is the easiest way to make mini quilts. There must be some videos online. Another easy method is crazy quilt blocks. Just put down an irregular piece of fabric face up then align pieces on the edges then sew and flip until you cover the backing.
i would not attempt using paper..hate using glue and tweezers.
This mini quilt is 12x12 and has 1/2 inch pieces in the nine patch block. Make the blocks bigger then cut it down to size.
Try making a nine patch with 1inch pieces then trim it to 1 1/2 in and sew on borders.
A2A825F2-88CA-45DB-8D48-2A3F5D3DFDA4.jpg

Last edited:
That’s absolutely stunning.... I’m not sure I followed all of it though. A nine patch with 1 inch squares would be 3x3 right? I haven’t managed borders this year either. Just satin stitched edging. Last year I did manage borders but then the whole quilt was too big. It’s a work in progress. :)

There’s a kind of quilting I saw on a pillow once where it’s all folding and layering but I haven’t been able to look it up because I can’t remember what that technique is called. Kind of like tea bag folding ... I think I could maaaaaaaybe manage that if I could find an online video ....

In the back of my mind, which is actually pretty empty, seems like there is something called, I think, a window pane square.

I made small pillows out of them once. There was a bigger square of muslin and a smaller square of a printed fabric. Somehow I folded the muslin and it made a center area where I stitched the smaller printed fabric. After you get them made you stitch them all together with s blind stitch. Was a long time ago but I remember it took me a long time. I was going to make a quilt for me but ended up with 3 small throw pillows for 3 of the most important ladies in my life.

I have completed one, but I am working on a "real" quilt right now that I am trying to get done in time to mail to my Mom in SC for Mother's Day. She spent years going to curves to exercise and last year that curves closed down. She always bought t-shirts whenever they came out with new ones. She was going to donate them, but I told her to pick out her favorites and I would have a quilt made from them for Mother's Day. She picked out 30! of them! The cost for having someone do that many was higher than I thought it was going to be, so I decided to do it myself! I haven't sewn in over 20 years probably, so it is NOT going to be perfect, but she will know that it was done with love! Once I get it done, I will post a picture (if it isn't too horrendous to share!) along with pictures of my cards if I get them done in time!

Two down, two more to go! I’m doing my blocks in glued paper pieces, made from security envelope liners and scrapbook papers. Finished Sunbonnet Sue and Basket. Next up is Sailboat.

AngelJoy, that sounds like a wonderful labor of love. Looking forward to seeing s picture when you can.

Back
Top Bottom