Shake It Up With Shakespeare - Due March 15, 2022

jo.on.the.go

going, going, always going
Friend of AFA
Media
Albums
Swap Due Date: March 15, 2022
(The Ides of March. This is the date that Julius Caesar was assassinated in 44 BCE. Shakespeare was influential in making this date infamous in his play Julius Caesar)
Signup/Withdraw Date: none, just make sure your give yourself enough time for the cards to arrive
Number of ATCs: 3 for 3 or 6 for 6
Number of Participants: Unlimited
Medium: Open. Any and all media and techniques are welcome. Try to keep embellishments to a minimum. Your cards may be realistic, impressionistic, or even whimsical.

Do the words
To be or not to be: that is the question
Romeo, Romeo! Wherefore art thou Romeo?
Beware of the Ides of March
Double, double toil and trouble

thrill you?

This swap is a tribute to William Shakespeare. Cards can illustrate a play he wrote, the Globe Theatre, a portrait of the bard himself or anything else related to William Shakespeare. The choice is yours.

ADDED BONUS
As an added bonus there is a thread where we can read and discuss Shakespeare’s plays. Participation in the reading thread is entirely optional and not a requirement for joining this swap. The thread was put together by mrubyjean for a few of us who are interested in reading Shakespeare and who want a little companionship as we read. The discussions will be casual, low-key, and not geared to Shakespeare scholars. This may be an easy way for you to introduce yourself to some of the most famous plays ever written. Tentatively we plan to read a Shakespeare play every other month. The link for the reading group is http://www.atcsforall.com/forum/showthread.php?38481-Sharing-Shakespeare-Read-and-Discuss!

CARD GUIDELINES
* This is a 3 for 3 or 6 for 6 card trade. Make three or six cards and receive the same number back.
* Only ATCs allowed. Cards need to measure 2.5" x 3.5" and must be sturdy enough to earn the name "card" (no floppy or flimsy paper).
* Cards should be be labeled on the back with your username, real name, where you live and name of swap. Maybe you could include a descriptive title.
* Each completed ATC should be in an individual vinyl sleeve for added protection.
* Please consider posting your finished cards in this thread and in the gallery. We all love eye candy and it serves as an inspiration for everybody! Let us know when you see cards that you especially like by checking "like" for a post or making a comment in the thread or gallery. When I swap out cards I look at comments made by players and try to give players cards that they like.
* A host ATC in the swap theme is appreciated and will be treasured, but is not a requirement!

MAILING GUIDELINES
* Please PM me for my address when cards are ready to send. I moved in May 2021.
* Keep the due date in mind. I suggest 7 days for US players and 14 days for International players.
* US Players: Please send a large label with your name and address clearly printed on it, and as much loose postage as it took to mail the cards to me. Usually one "Forever" stamp is sufficient for three cards. More postage may be necessary to mail more than three cards. Check at your post office if you are uncertain. I WILL PROVIDE ENVELOPES.
* International Players: Please send a large label with your name and address clearly printed on it. I will provide postage for the first three international players. Additional players please send $1 or a "Forever" Global stamp. I WILL PROVIDE ENVELOPES.

I-TRADERS and YOU-ROCKS
* I will give you an I-Traders when I receive your ATCs.
* When you receive your cards, please don't forget to leave your reputation/rock points for the artists whose ATCs you receive, and an I-Trader for me (if you like the way this swap is handled).

PLAYERS
names in blue indicate that cards have been received.
1. CynthiaSillitoe; returns received
2. mrubyjean; returns received
3. HHC; returns received
4. Ancient Planter; returns received
5. Elliejaybird; returns received
6. mwilding; returns received
7. vegan4animals; returns received
8. CiCiCreates; returns received
9. Seascape131; returns received
10. leydab; returns received
11. BlancoLobo; returns received
12. yonawrites; returns received
13. Blastie
14. BArox818; returns received
15. somnia international; returns received
16. Bishopsmate international. withdrawn

Last edited:
I’d like to lurk, while I finish up other commitments. What a fun and challenging theme! I thought of my favorite quote while reading yours printed in red. “Though she be little, she is fierce”.

CiCiCreates, I hope you will be able to complete your other commitments and then join us. And because you already have a favorite quote, perhaps you will look into reading Shakespeare with us.

Last edited:
The first group swap I did on AFA was Shakespeare's Women or something like that...I'm blanking on who hosted it. I know I made cards for Juliet and Ophelia. I'm not sure if the third was Kate or Lady MacBeth? But I really enjoyed exploring characters, so I may do that, though also I love Shakespeare's sonnets, too.

A funny aside....

I was a moderator on a different website, totally different kind of stuff, and all the other moderators knew these things I didn't understand....computers, graphics, even matrices and statistics, and when they'd bounce ideas off of each other, I would joke that I had no idea what they were talking about, but I was sure they were doing a fabulous job.

And then came the day when they decided to hold a contest connected to Shakespeare and they wanted members to submit little verses and someone said, "You know, Shakespeare wrote in this particular kind of verse....I can't remember what it's called, but it would be fun if we incorporated that..."

and I said, "It's called iambic pentameter, and I know how it works. I can write the examples and everything. Finally, something I understand!"

Here is my new favorite quote: “I would challenge you to a battle of wits, but I see you are unarmed”. I’m sure I’ll find many more in the coming weeks. I also found a list is “sayings” often used today, which originated from Shakespeare - fascinating!

Last edited:
HHC I added your name to the list. I’m glad to see that you are interested in the reading group as well.

Definitely sign me up! I LOVE Shakespeare! Been several times to Stratford, & I saw a very interesting interpretation of Henry V at the Royal Shakespeare Theatre there. I live 20 minutes from the Oregon Shakespeare Festival in Ashland and we were going at least once a year to one show or another before the pandemic. I need to look for the reading group (how did I not know about that?). My copies of The Complete Shakespeare and Shakespeare's Insults are packed up still, but I may have my mom's college Shakespeare book available.

And speaking of Julius Caesar, when I was in high school we read it and from then on my best friend and I would greet each other with "You block, you stone, you worse than senseless thing!" (in the play it's in the plural).

Vegan4animals I am so glad to see another person in this group. I honestly didn't know if anybody would be interested in Shakespeare.

Back
Top Bottom