ColorFly

ATC Virtuoso
Media
NATIONAL BIRDS: A HD/HP ATC Swap due May 25th RETURNS SENT 5/24
Mailing Date for US Players: May 21st
Mailing Date for International Players: May 11h
Number of Cards – 3:3
Number of Participants: 20
Media: Hand drawn/hand painted - realistic, cartoony, stylized, whatever!

This is my second swap, so I have a limited number that can participate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_national_birds

This is a swap about the beautiful birds that represent different countries. You can portray the bird of your country of origin, of where you live right now or have visited, of the country of origin of one of your relatives, or even just a country you choose for no particular reason. Please, just countries. I may follow up with a swap for state/province/regional birds later, depending how this goes!

If your country does not have a particular bird associated with it as an official "national bird", than any typical or native bird will work too!

To sign up for this swap:
1) Please post to this thread
2) State which country’s bird you’ll be illustrating
3) The name of the bird
4) Why you chose that bird
5) Take a look at the sign-up list before you post; it would be nice to limit any one bird to 3 players or less.

Make 3 cards of the same bird, but make each card at least slightly different. Please put time and effort into your cards. Imagine that you are swapping the card to someone in person; make it a card you’re proud to give!

I will cover postage for all international players. If you have a US dollar to send, it would be great, but not at all necessary. I live in the Pacific Northwest area of the U.S., so I recommend you send them from another country by May 11h.

Swap details:
• All cards must be standard ATC size: 2-1/2” x 3-1/2”
• Cards must be sent in plastic sleeves.
• No copies; original artwork please! They can be similar, but must be different
• Flat cards, please. No thick embellishments
• On the back of each card write at least: your name, your swap name, and the country you are from (and your state, if you wish, if from the U.S.), and the country your bird represents.
• U.S. Players: send a SASE. Put your user name and the country that your bird represents on the back of both envelopes.
• International players: send an envelope (4” x 9-1/2”) addressed to yourself. Put your username and the country your bird represents on the back of both envelopes. If you don’t have a return envelope the right size, just send me a large mailing label with your address on it.

If you find you can’t participate in this swap after all, just let me know!

Please post your creations on this thread so we can all admire your work, not just the lucky people that get your cards!

When you get your beautiful cards in the mail from me, please leave “Rep Points” for each of the artists that made your cards. I would also greatly appreciate “iTrader Points” from you!

An extra bird card for me is not expected nor required, but boy would I love one!

Players:

1. lea67000 France Gallic Rooster ("coq gaulois") RECEIVED
2. quoting mungo Sweden Common Blackbird RECEIVED
3. eangelle United States American Bald Eagle RECEIVED
4. wen nine New Zealand Kiwi RECEIVED
5. BayBird Blue Crane South Africa WITHDREW
6. LilacDragn Bahamas Flamingo RECEIVED
7. jo.on.the.go Peru Andean Cock-of-the-Rock RECEIVED
8. nanette653 Canada Common Loon RECEIVED
9. RoOskie Nepal Himalayan Monal WITHDREW
10. nettlefly Finland Whooper Swan RECEIVED
11. judoza Iceland Gyrfalcon RECEIVED
12. MelanieS India Peacock WITHDREW
13. Sassynebrasky Guatemala Resplendant Quetzal RECEIVED
14. Hanne Alice Denmark Mute Swan RECEIVED
15. ballerina Jamaica Red-Billed Streamertail RECEIVED
16. BlessedByArt Uganda East African Crowned Crane RECEIVED
17. LuvLoz Australia Crimson Rosella WITHDREW

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Lea

If there isn't any official (or unofficial!) bird that represents France, than you can pick any native bird. You can do three different ones, if you like, or pick one and draw it three times.

Do you want the cards to be patriotic (like with a French flag) or rather roosters at the farm?

Last edited:
Welcome, quoting mungo!

And, yes, you can absolutely cut-and-paste your own drawings! I requested this to be a HD/HP swap so that we didn't get any pictures printed off the internet slapped onto a card. But what you are describing would be fine!

Last edited:
Hi lea6700; it's up to you!

I am intrigued with all the beautiful birds and how certain ones represent certain countries, but they can either be depicted in their natural habitat, or along with a patriotic symbol. However you would like to interpret that. As long as the bird is on there, the rest is up to you!

Can I do the Flamingo, national bird of the Bahamas? I've always wanted to go there! I'm sure there's going to be lots of Bald Eagle players and even if I join a state swap, Florida's bird is the Mockingbird...a bit drab. I'd love to draw some Flamingos!

I'll give this a try...I wanted to do a bird from a country I had visited, on the condition that probably nobody else would be likely to do the same bird (ie, I eliminated Canada and UK) and then some countries I visited don't have a bird listed (Egypt). So what I came up with is Peru's bird, the Andean cock-of-the-rock...not only colorful but also rather odd looking.

My roosters are ready:

dsc02613.jpg

Welcome, LilacDragn (nice user name...did you notice my avatar? :) )

Welcome, jo.on.the.go! Sounds like you're quite the traveler?

Welcome, nanette653! Aw, that sounds bittersweet! My daughter and I went on lots of trips together (Vancouver, British Columbia; wine tasting in California; Hawaii). Now she's married, so who knows when we'll travel together again?

Thank you for signing me up...and yes, I did notice your avatar! :) My screenname is from my first tattoo...a dragon sitting on a rock playing with a butterfly. I need to have it redone, some of the ink came out of the butterfly and the dragon is a little more brownish-purple than lilac like it was suppose to be. I was 19 and the tattoo was free, the artist was a friend of a friend. Still love it though. :)

Back
Top Bottom